Friday, July 13, 2012

Simplify.

I don't have Facebook anymore. For a couple of reasons. I was getting tired of seeing the same things over and over. And I was tired of reading posts from people complaining about things or being cryptic in their posts to get attention. It had become a place that harbored drama. And I detest drama. Some may say, "Well why don't you just hide those people from your feed?" Or, "you don't have to read it if you don't like it." And that leads me to my second reason for deactivating my account. I wish you could actually delete your account, instead of only deactivating it, because it's way too easy to reactivate. But I digress.

My second reason for getting rid of Facebook is that I spent way too much time on that site. I was wasting so much precious time checking and re-checking my news feed.. sometimes without thinking about it. I have tried to leave the site a few times before, but I always went back. It wasn't until I read an article recently, found here, that I realized I might have formed an addiction to Facebook. The article talked about how addictions are formed, and how even with things such as Facebook or video games or anything like that can become addictive. It also talked about how we come to crave those things. The other topic in the article was how we can beat those addictions by putting the most important things first. Namely, prayer and personal scripture study. The article says that we almost have to form an addiction for the scriptures in order to fight away other things that try to take their place in our lives.

So, that's what I am doing. I am trying to simplify my life and get back to the basics. I have the deep need and the righteous desire to strengthen my testimony and my willingness to follow my Savior's example.

I may, sometime in the far future, return to Facebook. But as far as I can see, it will no longer be a part of my life.

*Also, I am considering making our blog private. If you would like to continue following us, please let me know by commenting or giving me your email address. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment