Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Ultrasound Number One

So, as I mentioned before, I had an ultrasound at my 19 week mark. There were some pretty funny things, and some frustrating things, that happened during the ultrasound that I wanted to share.

First thing is first.. that gel that they put on your tummy.. holy warm! And there was a ton of it! By the end of my appointment the waistband of my pants had the goop all over it! (That could have been for other reasons though, that I'll talk about later)

The first thing we saw up on the screen was a perfect profile of baby's face. And it was amazing. I can't even describe how happy and overwhelmed I felt, all at the same time. It was probably right at that moment that it finally hit me that I'm going to have a baby. A real, living, breathing baby. My heart swelled up and I felt excited, but terrified at the same time.

The next little while was spent taking pictures of baby's different parts, and taking measurements. Then the ultrasound technician said, "Now here is the part where it should be the end of the world.. and we should be able to see boy parts or girl parts. But... baby's legs are up under the bum." I was heartbroken. I immediately thought that was it.. that we weren't going to be able to see if our baby is a boy or a girl. But she kept moving the wand thing around and poking at baby, trying to get him/her to move. But baby wouldn't budge. So she went back to taking more pictures of baby's other body parts, but had trouble when it came time to get pictures of the back of baby's head. I guess the head was too far down into my cervix for her to get the shots she needed. She poked at baby some more, and even had me get up and go to the bathroom and wiggle around to see if that would get baby to move around (this is why I the goo all over my pants. Haha!) But still, nothing. Baby's legs were crossed even tighter, if anything. And at one point, he/she stuck his/her hand between the knees as if to say "There is no way you're going to see anything!" It was really frustrating.

But what came next was possibly equally frustrating. The ultrasound tech told me that my fluid was low, and that if I didn't get it up on my own that they would have to intervene, and that I wouldn't like it. She then ordered me to drink a gallon of fluid a day. Since then, I have been drinking a lot more, but I'm finding it really hard to get to a gallon a day. I already felt like I had to use the restroom way to often, but now that I'm drinking even more it's ridiculous how much I have to go. I can't even get through my first class of the day without getting up to go at least twice. Anyway, I'm trying to do what I've been told, because I know that it is what's best for my baby.

And, because she wasn't able to get those shots of baby's head, we have to go back for another ultrasound. So hopefully I've been drinking enough, and hopefully baby will be more cooperative!


As soon as I figure out how to scan the ultrasound pics to my computer, I'll add them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment